Sunday, August 10, 2014

Appeasing the gods: A now-I-know series

Went through my photographs shortly after my Tiong Bahru in color post, googled, and had a "Orh, now I know" moment.

"Heaven Bestows Wealth"
(Taken with a Smena 8M with Kodak Portra 800 film) 
According to Wikipedia, Taoism is practiced by 8.5% of Singapore's population. Believers "hang a small altar, painted red, with the words 'Heaven Bestows Wealth' (天宫赐福) painted on it outside the house or simply a small urn filled with ash where joss sticks are placed. The smoke emitted from the burning joss sticks is believed to transmit their devotion and at times requests to the gods."

Forgotten yet unforgotten
(Taken with a Smena 8M with Kodak Portra 800 film)

The proper name for this is "brazier". These are two braziers which are permanently placed opposite my house, next to an unused field.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...